Parish History

Nativity of Our Lord Parish was established as a Mission Parish from Blessed Sacrament in 1937. Because of the growth of the islands area, a need for a new church was recognized. In 1989, permission to build St. Peter the Apostle Church on the grounds adjacent to the school on Wilmington Island was given by Bishop Raymond Lessard. St. Peter the Apostle Church was dedicated on October 14, 1990. On August 4, 1993, Bishop Lessard officially established St. Peter the Apostle as a new parish independent from Nativity of Our Lord Parish. It was at this time that the school name was changed to St. Peter the Apostle School.

In the spring of 1998 a new parish office was dedicated. This building houses the pastor and parochial vicar’s office as well as the administrative offices. To better meet the needs of the growing school enrollment, a new building was dedicated in January of 2001. This building includes eight classrooms, a media center, a computer lab and a science lab. Future plans for St. Peter the Apostle include a new parish center, at least two new classrooms and a teachers’ lounge.

The New Parish Center ground breaking took place on Sunday, May 7th, 2007. Bishop John Kevin Boland presided at the Mass and officiated at the ground breaking ceremony. Many parishioners attended and participated in the ceremony. More photos…

The New Parish Center Dedication took place on Sunday, May 25th, 2008. Bishop John Kevin Boland presided at the Mass and officiated at the Dedication ceremony. Many parishioners attended and participated in the ceremony.

Our Parish is a Parish of Stewardship. It is the through the service of our Pastors, Staff, and our Parishioners that we are able to accomplish so many things through so many ministries. Please join our FLOCK!